Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Only Barneys Sells Ravelon


Welcome to the weekend report for Januarys 15, 16 and 17.

Saturday was cool. During the day I spackled around from coffeeshop to store to coffeeshop, scribbling things and what not. I had an unusual encounter in SoHo on the way from one coffeeshop to another: I was waiting for the light to change when this woman dressed in white fur and outrageously enormous sunglasses with hair the color of a pomegranate asked me a question. But she didn't just turn and ask me--she must have seen my earphones, so to get my attention she waved her hand in front of me as if to say 'Wingapo' or 'Wax on.' (I thought, this must be how they say hello) When she saw that either she got my attention or stunned me into immobility with this maneuver, she asked me if I knew where the Barney's outlet was. Alls I could say was that I didn't know--I was genuinely stunned both by the gesture and the idea that someone would look at me and think to ask me if I knew where Barneys was. I'm like my friend in Atlanta, who thought that Barneys was just something that was mentioned in Will & Grace.

After that harrowing experience, it was coffeeshop, Punjabi, bookstore, chocolate factory, Brazilian wax, cigarette factory, waterpark, strip club, skydiving and my You-Can-Sing-Like-The-Crash-Test-Dummies class, and then it was evening. Jason, Kris and I had promised to help someone with interview questions then, so we stopped by and helped hir and then we all went for Indian, which was fun. Fun except for their making fun of a skank at the other end of the restaurant. I thought this was wrong--I support the right to look like a skank. So what if this girl's hair was the color of ivory and she had lotsa makeup on! If she wants to look like a skank, I say more power to her! Anyway, we had lotsa wine with dinner, so by the time we left, we were all quite festive. So we went to a couple bars. And while that was fun, we got home too late, and missing sleep and being all ate up the next day wasn't worth it. So now I'm all about not going out to bars.

That pretty much describes Sunday: tired and ate up. I wasn't good for anything, so I ended up skipping the Golden Globes and other party that I was thinking of going to.

But Monday made up for that. It was nice & sunny for some parts of the day, and although it was colder than a witch's tit for most of the day, for some reason it never really got all that uncomfortable. I spent much of the day blipping around trying to write this piece that had been assigned to me, and for fully half the day I had no luck. But then finally I had a li'l breakthrough and wrote like diarrhea. Now I have to type it all in and edit it, but at least there's something to work with. Then that evening I went over to Jersey City for something @ WFMU, and then after that home.

And that brings us to today. Yowz, did I have vivid dreams last night, dreams which I can't really remember for the life of me, so there was no point in mentioning it. And while it's back to work, at least it's a short week. And at least it's the end of these damn holidays (what's the point of a holiday in January, when it's 15 degrees out?! Why not one in late September or early October, when it's not too hot but isn't yet chilly?), so I can finally get a 40 hour workweek again.

And that's the beep for now

Beep!
Ed Shepp


No comments: